September 11, 2008

Precipitevolissimevolmente !

When you want to say 'as soon as possible' in Italian language it might be too late... because you will not be able to finish this word of 26 letters in time: "Precipitevolissimevolmente finish the facade and install the windows!"

Is this maybe the secret behind la dolce vita, that this word is just unpronounceable ?

Does 'as soon as possible' just does not exist in the Italian every day life?

Ah, it is not that romantic, of course different expressions are possible, egg prima possibile.

The history of precipitevolissimevolmente (hey, slowly I can remember it) and the longest Italian word can be found here (in Italian).

5 comments:

  1. Very funny!
    I'd like to see it printed on on a T-shirt.
    Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and it's fun to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara,

    An etalian expatriate myself with a renovation project now behind me, I see your point. Precipitevolissimevolmente means tomorrow, next week, in a year, if at all. How is your palazzo project getting on? And have you been able to trace your photos? In bocca al lupo! Bacione, Ingrid (Umbria)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have just discovered your blog; beautiful pictures and what an adventure. My first language is Italian and I had trouble saying that word. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Your are invited to spend a weekend, with me, traveling around my home in the beautiful Tyne Valley, Northumberland. Enjoy!
    Di

    ReplyDelete