Today is Blog Action Day and I am participating because our planet is in danger. Every human being that is able to think should be aware about how much our planet is threatened by climate change, global warming and shortness of resources, to name some environmental problems which again cause social unbalance that can result in poverty, terror and war. It is a very complex subject. Our children and grandchildren will face tough times.
But where to start and who to start ?
Today, blog action day is focusing on the environmental problem "climate change".
Please take a minute and read the following what you could do today and maybe next week and more and more often :
10 simple actions to contribute for a better Planet :
1) Replace a regular light bulb with an energy saving light bulb
2) Move your radiator down one degree in winter (and the aircon up 1 degree in summer)
3) Use less hot water (it costs energy to heat water)
4) Air dry your clothes instead of using a dryer as often as possible
5) Only run your dishwasher when there’s a full load and use the energy-saving setting
6) Unplug electronics from the wall when you’re not using them (even when turned off, cell phone chargers and televisions use energy. The energy used to keep display clocks lit and memory chips working may account for 5 % of total domestic energy consumption !)
7) Plant a tree - or think twice before cutting down a tree ! (a single tree will absorb one ton of carbon dioxide over its lifetime. Shade provided by trees can also reduce your air conditioning bill by 10 to 15%.)
8) Buy locally grown food (transportation is polluting and consumes energy) - and buy fresh food instead of frozen (frozen food uses 10 times more energy to produce).
9) Eat less meat !!! (The production of 1 kg of beef consumes about 13,000 liter of water !!! And methane is the second most significant greenhouse gas and cows are one of the greatest methane emitters. Their grassy diet and multiple stomachs cause them to produce methane, which they exhale with every breath.)
10) Drive less ! Walk, bike or use public transportation !
(source: Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth)
Today I will buy fresh food at the local farmer's market, eat no meet and use public transportation ! (easy in't it ?! But every little contribution of every human being counts !)
What is your contribution or tip ?!
Follow these links for more information about saving the planet (who is thinking, what to do and how to contribute) :
Club of Rome
Global Marshall Plan
An inconvenience truth
I would like to recommend the following posts on CLIMAT CHANGE
If you have another interesting post let us all know with a comment !
To check the other 13 thousand something participating blogs go to --> blog action day 2009
Remark: I had to change the publishing time, delay 2 hours in order to have this post appear on Oct. 15, blog action day. Now my two posts on Oct. 15 just appear in a different order. That's all. Sorry for confusion.