October 11, 2011

A new old lamp

old wrought iron gas lamp

My Italian family likes to stroll antique markets and browse antique shops. Variety and prices are more attractive in Italy than in Germany. The latest find of my mother-in-law in Northern Italy is this old wrought iron chandelier that used to have a gas supply in the center of the lamp.

modified by adding new lamp shades and electrical wire

My father in law modified the gas lamp into an electric lamp by adding adding electric cables. Also the three small lamp shades of red glas are newly added. If I want, he said, I can have it for my bed room. Of course, I want! It would go along well with the red in the floor tiles.

original cement tiles with red swastika, an over 3,000 year old symbol for good luck


I am looking forward to see a picture of the chandelier hanging from the ceiling in our bed room. The pictures above were taken in my parents-in-law home in Calabria and in our house in Pizzo.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am back from my travels and trying to catch up with all my favourite bloggers. Hoping you are safe in Bangkok, we were in Thailand for a week last month and already the water was breaching the sandbags in Bangkok at high tides. All so very sad and we return home to more devastation with flooding here in Italy also. Stay safe.
    I love the new light fitting by the way.

    ReplyDelete